Unfortunately, ours can be a dangerous world. Having a trusted real estate professional by your side when selling your home does more than ensure that you get the most money for your home – it can help keep your family, property, and identity safe.
Here are 10 precautions to be mindful of when selling your home:
- Show by appointment only and document. As a real estate professional, I pre-qualify everyone who comes through the door. I have identification information that can include their driver’s license and license plate for safety reasons. You should do the same if attempting to sell yourself.
- Share that information with a trusted friend. Give someone a head’s up when you are planning on showing property and make it clear that an outside source has it for safe-keeping.
- Don’t host open houses alone. It’s good to have a second set of eyes and ears when showing property.
- Keep financial information and family calendars under wraps. Unscrupulous people can use that information to steal your identity or see what times your home might be vulnerable to thieves based on your schedule.
- Keep valuables locked up. Anything in plain view such as jewelry, laptops, electronics, money – all are vulnerable during property tours.
- Open shades, blinds, and curtains so that activity INSIDE can be seen from the OUTSIDE. This deters criminal activity.
- Don’t get boxed in. Don’t let yourself be followed into a room so that the exit door can be blocked or locked with you inside. The same is true of your car. Don’t leave your car in the driveway to be blocked in.
- Check your locks. Before a showing, make sure your deadbolts and doors are unlocked for quick exits, then re-lock when your showing is over.
- Carry your phone with you at all times. Always have access to a lifeline and 911.
- Trust your gut. If people are hovering in one room too long, or they are grouped together with one or more trying to distract you, or even asking too many personal questions – those are all red flags that they could be a potential danger.
As your neighborhood specialist, safety is a top priority. If you need help ensuring your family’s safety AND are eager to get the most from the sale of your home, give me a call. I can help.